Apple Cider Doughnuts
2 cups apple cider
3 1⁄2 cups flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
1⁄4 tsp. cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1⁄2 tsp. lemon zest
6 tbsp. butter, melted & cooled
3⁄4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. cinnamon
5 qts. canola oil
1. Place a pot on the stove top. Bring the apple cider to a boil over high heat and reduce by half. Let cool.
2. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon zest in a bowl to make the dry mixture.
3. Add the eggs, cooled cider, and melted butter to a separate bowl and mix to make the wet mixture.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until dough is formed. Let rest for 1 hr. at room temperature.
5. Add the cinnamon–sugar topping ingredients to a separate bowl and whisk together. Reserve the topping in the bowl.
6. Place the Wonder Cooker’s Roaster Pan on the stove top. Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 325° F/160° C.
7. Roll the dough into a 1⁄2 in.-thick rectangle on a floured surface.
8. Cut nine doughnuts and doughnut holes using a 3-in. doughnut cutter. Reroll the extra dough and cut four more doughnuts from it.
9. Deep fry the doughnuts in the Roaster Pan until golden brown (about 1 1⁄2 mins.).
10. Place the doughnuts on a cooling rack to drain and cool.
11. Toss the doughnuts in the cinnamon–sugar topping before serving.
Eric’s Tip: Day-old apple cider doughnuts make the best bread pudding!