Beef & Cheese Empanadas
SERVES 4-6 (Makes 10 Empanadas)
2 tbsp. olive oil, for step 1
1 lb. ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup Spanish olives with pimentos, sliced
3 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 package (10) empanada discos, thawed
2 tbsp. olive oil, for steps 7 & 9
optional: lime wedges, for serving
optional: chives, chopped, for garnish
1. In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef with olive oil. Stir to break up any large pieces.
2. When meat begins to brown, add onions and garlic. Cook until meat is fully browned and onion is translucent (about 5 minutes). Drain meat and return to the pan.
3. Add cumin, oregano, paprika, coriander, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat. Add olives. Set aside to cool.
5. Mix the beef and the cheese together.
6. Place about 2 heaping tablespoons of filling on the center on each disco.
7. Brush the edges with water. Fold dough over the filling to form a half- moon. Crimp the edges shut with a fork. Brush with olive oil.
8. Preheat the AirFryer to 370o F for 2 minutes.
9. Place no more than 4 empanadas at a time in the Fry Basket. Cook at 370o F for 14 minutes. After 7 minutes, flip empanadas and brush with olive oil.
10. Serve empanadas hot with fresh lime wedges. Garnish with chopped chives.
Eric’s Tip: Discos are flaky dough rounds used to make empanadas. They can be found in the refrigerator or freezer sections of some grocery stores and Latino specialty markets. If not available in your stores, substitute pie crust cut into 5-inch circles.