Caramelized Muchroom Panini
MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
1 lb. button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
3 medium red onions,
peeled & sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup beef broth
salt and pepper
8 slices sourdough bread
1/2 cup margarine
16 slices Swiss cheese
1. In a frying pan, sauté mushrooms in 1 tbsp. olive oil until slightly tender. Add thyme and cook for an additional minute. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2. Sauté onions in the remaining olive oil until tender, about 10 minutes. Add red wine and cook until fully absorbed.
3. Pour in beef broth and cook until fully absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Brush one side of each slice of bread with margarine.
5. Set the Grill Pan on medium heat. Arrange 4 slices of bread on top, margarine side down.
6. Top each with 2 slices cheese, onions, mushrooms, 2 more slices cheese, and remaining slice of bread.
7. Grill paninis on each side until golden
8. Serve warm with your favorite soup or side dishes.
Eric’s Tip: The more variety the better. I love using a mix of mushrooms like shiitake, crimini and oyster mushrooms. Each has its own flavor