Cheese and Onion Pierogies
SERVES ABOUT 8
1 (14 oz.) pack wonton wrappers (about 40 wrappers)
5 tbsp. butter
1 large onion, cut in half and sliced thin
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
1⁄2 cup sour cream
1⁄4 cup chives
2 cups water
2 lb. potatoes, cooked
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 onion, peeled, chopped, and sautéed
1 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Reserve sour cream and chives. Make the filling: combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut each wrapper into the largest circle possible.
- Lay the circles onto a nonstick cookie sheet or floured surface.
- Using your finger, rub the edges of the wontons with some water. Using a tablespoon, add enough filling into each wonton. Do not overstuff. Leave enough dough to press it closed, making a half moon. Use your finger or a fork to press the half circle closed.
- Spray the steamer tray with cooking spray. Insert steamer tray into the Copper Chef. Pour in 2 cups of water. Place the pan on high heat.
Place the pierogies onto the steamer tray. Be careful they don’t overlap too
much (so they don’t stick together). You may need to do this in batches.
Cover and steam for about 4-5 minutes. Set pierogies aside as they
- Discard the steaming water. Carefully remove the steamer tray (it will be hot).
- Add the butter, onion, salt, and black pepper to the pan. Sauté until the onions are golden. Add the pierogies to the butter and onion. Cook until each side is golden.
- Serve with a spoonful of sour cream and some chives.