Chicago Deep Dish Quiche
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Serves: 4-6
Ingredients 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust 1 tablespoon olive oil 8 ounces ground Italian sausage 1/4 cup diced yellow onion 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning 5 large eggs 1 cup half and half 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese 1/3 cup pizza sauce
1. Let the pie crust come to room temperature as you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage and crumble as it browns.
3. Add the onion, bell pepper, and Italian seasoning and sauté until sausage is fully browned and vegetables are soft. Drain excess grease well (I transfer it to paper towels).
4. In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper.
5. Place the pie crust into an 8-inch springform pan and press the sides up around the edges of the pan by about 3 inches.
6. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese into the bottom of the pie crust, then top with the Italian sausage mixture. Pour the egg mixture over top all and press the sausage down to mostly submerge.
7. Bake 45 minutes, just until the center begins to puff up. Remove from oven and spread pizza sauce over the top of the eggs.
8. Bake an additional 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before unlocking springform pan and slicing to serve.