Chicken Pot Pie with Puff Pastry Top
1 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 qts. chicken stock
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. turmeric
1 bay leaf
14 oz pearl onions
1 1⁄2 lb baby potatoes, quartered
4 large carrots, diced large
4 stalks celery, diced
1 lb button mushrooms, quartered
3 lb chicken tenders
1⁄2 cup dry sherry
1 12-oz package of peas
1⁄4 cup heavy cream
2 frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F/190° C.
2. Place the Wonder Cooker’s Roaster Pan on the stove top. Melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour to make a roux, and cook for 3 mins.
3. Gradually add the chicken stock and cook until the mixture begins to thicken and bubble (8–10 mins.).
4. Add the salt, ground black pepper, thyme, turmeric, bay leaf, pearl onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, chicken tenders, and sherry. Continue cooking until the chicken tenders are cooked and the potatoes are tender (45–60 mins.).
5. Stir in the peas and cream.
6. Roll out the puff pastry sheets and place over the top of the Roaster Pan. Make slits in the center of the sheets and brush with egg wash.
7. Place the Roaster Pan in the oven and bake at 375° F/190° C until the pastry is golden (25–40 mins.).
Eric’s Tip: If you’re looking for a different top, try using premade biscuits instead of the puff pastry.