Chicken Sausage Breakfast Strata
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Serves: 8
Ingredients Nonstick cooking spray 10 slices brioche bread 1 tablespoon butter 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced 4 links smoked chicken sausage (apple is great), sliced 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese 8 large eggs 2 cups milk 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place chopped bread in the baking dish.
2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until soft. Transfer to the baking dish.
3. For the best flavor, brown the chicken sausage in the skillet over medium-high heat before adding to the baking dish (optional as it is fully-cooked).
4. Add 1/2 of the Cheddar cheese to the baking dish and toss all ingredients to evenly disperse.
5. Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper before pouring over ingredients in the baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese.
6. For the best flavor, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour (overnight is best).
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake 35-40 minutes, or until center is firm and springy. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing to serve.