Citrus Almond Cake
1 cup sliced almonds
2/3 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
2 tbsp. milk
1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
2/3 cup almond paste
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. cream of tartar
3 1/8 cups flour, divided
1. Place a saucepan on the stove top. Combine the topping ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Remove from the heat then set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350° F/175° C.
4. Beat the butter, almond paste, sugar, salt, and orange zest in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
5. While still mixing, gradually add the eggs, vanilla extract, and orange juice.
6. Add the cream of tartar and 3 cups flour and then mix until just combined to finish the batter.
7. Spread the batter in the Wonder Cooker’s Grill Pan, sprinkle with 1/8 cup flour, and top with the topping.
8. Place the Grill Pan in the oven and bake at 350° F/175° C until the cake pulls away from the side of the Pan (about 1 hr.).
Eric’s Tip: This after-dinner treat only needs a small nip of espresso or dark roast coffee to balance the almond sweetness.