Classic Carbonara Pasta
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
Ingredients 12 ounces dried spaghetti or bucatini 2 teaspoons olive oil 6 ounces diced pancetta, guanciale, or thick cut bacon 2 large eggs 1 large egg yolk 3/4 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Salt a large pot of boiling water and prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve at least 1 cup of the cooking liquid, setting aside, before draining.
2. As the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil and pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until crisp, then drain only 1/2 of the rendered grease.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, pecorino cheese, and pepper.
4. Once pasta has cooked return the skillet of cooked pancetta to medium heat and add the cooked pasta and 3/4 cup of cooking liquid. Bring up to a simmer.
5. Remove from heat and quickly stir the egg mixture into the pasta, always keeping the pasta moving to keep the eggs from scrambling as the heat in the pan cooks them through.
6. Serve immediately, topped with chopped parsley, additional black pepper, and grated cheese, if desired. The sauce will thicken quickly as it sits. If it over-thickens, simply thin it out with additional pasta water.