2 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups egg whites, beaten
1⁄2 cup water
1 cup cornstarch
3 cups shredded coconut
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 qt. canola oil
1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
2 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 scallions, chopped
- Mix the egg whites and water together. Set aside.
- Mix the shredded coconut and the panko breadcrumbs together in a flat pan or bowl. Set aside.
- Dip the shrimp into the cornstarch, then into the egg white mixture, and finally into the coconut mixture.
- Place the Copper Chef on medium-high heat. Fill halfway with canola oil. Heat the oil to 365o F.
- Place the fry basket into the Copper Chef. Carefully drop the shrimp into the basket and cook until golden, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all the dipping sauce ingredients together. Serve.
Eric’s Tip: Sometimes, I use fresh sea scallops for this recipe. You can put them on a skewer as “lollipops” for party hors d’oeuvres.