Fennel-Crusted Roast Beef
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 4-lb eye round roast beef
1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
3 tbsp. ground fennel
1⁄2 tbsp. garlic powder
1⁄2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. sea salt
1⁄2 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 bulb fresh fennel, sliced
1 onion, sliced
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
1⁄2 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs thyme
1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F/205° C.
2. Place the Wonder Cooker’s Roaster Pan on the stove top. Heat the olive oil over high heat and sear the roast on all sides.
3. Remove the Roaster Pan from the heat and brush the roast with the mustard.
4. Combine the fennel rub ingredients in a bowl. Coat the roast with the rub.
5. Add the sliced fennel and onion to the Roaster Pan.
6. Transfer the Roaster Pan to the oven and roast at 400° F/205° C until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 120° F/50° C (about 1 1⁄4 hrs.). Remove and reserve the roast.
7. Transfer the Roaster Pan to the stove top. Melt the butter over medium heat.
8. Add the flour and mix until creamy.
9. Stir in the red wine and beef stock until combined.
10. Add the bay leaf, thyme, and ground black pepper. Cook over low heat for 20 mins. to finish the gravy.
11. Slice the roast and serve with the gravy.
Eric’s Tip: I’ll dice up the leftover beef, mix it with veggies, and top with mashed potatoes for a hearty shepherd’s pie.