Jam-Filled Buttermilk Scones
2 1⁄4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1⁄4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
12 tbsp. butter, frozen
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk, plus more for glazing
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
2 tbsp. demerara sugar, for topping
1. Combine the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl.
2. Grate the butter into the bowl using the largest holes of a box grater.
3. Toss the ingredients in the bowl to combine them.
4. Stir the beaten eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla into the bowl, being careful not to overmix, to complete the dough.
5. Divide the dough in half, shape each dough half into a disc, wrap the discs in plastic, and refrigerate them for 1 hr.
6. Place one disc on a fresh sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the disc to 1⁄2-in. thickness.
7. Spread jam on the disc leaving a 1⁄2-in. crust around the edges.
8. Roll the other disc on another sheet of plastic wrap to 1⁄2-in. thickness.
9. Place the second disc over the first disk and gently press the discs together to seal the edges.
10. Cut the dough into eight wedges.
11. Place the wedges on two parchment paper-lined Air Flow Racks. Brush the wedges generously with the buttermilk and sprinkle them with the demerara sugar. Place the Racks on the bottom and middle shelves of the Power AirFryer Oven.
12. Press the Power Button and increase the cooking temperature to 375° F and the cooking time to 18 mins. Rotate the Racks after 10 mins.
Eric’s Tip: I make a savory version of this recipe using hot pepper jelly!