Jersey Hot Fried Chicken
2 chicken thighs
2 chicken wings
2 chicken breasts, cut in half
2 chicken legs
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1⁄2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. cumin
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. olive oil
olive oil spray
Jersey Hot Sauce
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper
5 tsp. smoked or sweet paprika
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. tomato paste
4 cups olive oil (alternatively, 2 cups canola oil & 2 cups olive oil)
1. Soak the chicken parts in a bowl with the buttermilk for at least 1 hr., preferably overnight.
2. Combine the seasoning ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Dip the chicken in the flour, then in the buttermilk, and finally back in the flour.
4. Place the chicken on two Air Flow Racks. Spray the chicken with the olive oil spray. Place the Racks on the lower and middle shelves of the Power AirFryer Oven.
5. Press the Power Button and increase the cooking temperature to 390° F and the cooking time to 35 mins. Rotate the Racks halfway through the cooking time (17 1⁄2 mins.).
6. Combine the cayenne pepper, paprika, ground cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, sugar, and tomato paste in a pot.
7. Cook the spices on medium-low heat for a few mins., being careful not to burn the sugars.
8. Whisk 4 cups olive oil into the sauce and cook for about 5 mins. on medium heat.
9. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken.
Eric’s Tip: After the breading process, let the chicken sit for about 15 mins. so the flour can hydrate. This prevents the flour from separating from the chicken during and after cooking. Also, let any leftover sauce cool and store it in a container or mason jar. The sauce can be stored for about two weeks in the refrigerator.