8 oz vegetable oil
8 oz flour
3 cups diced onion
1 1⁄2 cups diced celery
1 1⁄2 cups diced red bell pepper
1 1⁄2 lb smoked cooked ham
6 tbsp. minced garlic
3⁄4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. thyme
3 cups chicken stock
3 cups water
1 1⁄2 tomatoes, diced
6 bay leaves
3 lb 21–25 shrimp
1 cup chopped green onion tops
1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
3 tbsp. filé powder
12 cups cooked white rice
1. Place the Wonder Cooker’s Roaster Pan on the stove top. Combine the vegetable oil and flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture turns the color of peanut butter.
2. Add the onion, celery, and red bell pepper and cook until soft.
3. Add the ham, garlic, ground cayenne pepper, and thyme.
4. Add the chicken stock, water, tomato, and bay leaves and whisk to combine.
5. Raise the heat to bring to a boil and reduce.
6. Lower the heat to simmer for 30 mins.
7. Add the shrimp and cook for 10 mins.
8. Add the green onion tops, parsley, and filé powder.
9. Serve in deep bowls over steamed white rice.
Eric’s Tip: I love to take the leftovers and top with mashed potatoes spiked with Maryland crab seasoning to make a spicy shepherd’s pie.