No-Boil Mac and Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 6
Ingredients Nonstick cooking spray 1 pound large elbow macaroni 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese 8 ounces shredded Havarti or mild Cheddar cheese 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 1/4 cup all purpose flour 4 cups whole milk 1 1/2 cups chicken stock 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs 2 tablespoons melted butter 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place uncooked elbow macaroni in the prepared baking dish and toss with 1 cup of the two shredded cheeses.
3. Heat butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Stir in flour and let cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in milk and chicken stock and, stirring constantly, bring up to a simmer. Let cook 1 minute, or until slightly thickened. Turn off heat and stir in salt, ground mustard, and 2 cups of the shredded cheeses.
5. Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni in the baking dish and press macaroni down to ensure it is fully submerged. Top with the final 1 cup of shredded cheeses.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, fold together breadcrumbs, melted butter, and pepper.
8. Uncover macaroni and top with the coated breadcrumbs before baking an additional 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs have lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.