No-Boil Mac and Cheese
This comforting classic is made with minimal prep that doesn’t even require pre-boiling the macaroni! I know my Italian grandmother would not be happy to make any pasta this way… but it’s so easy she would forgive me ;0
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 6
Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound large elbow macaroni
8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
8 ounces shredded Havarti or mild Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place uncooked elbow macaroni in the prepared baking dish and toss with 1 cup of the two shredded cheeses.
- Heat butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Stir in flour and let cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk and chicken stock and, stirring constantly, bring up to a simmer. Let cook 1 minute, or until slightly thickened. Turn off heat and stir in salt, ground mustard, and 2 cups of the shredded cheeses.
- Pour cheese sauce over the macaroni in the baking dish and press macaroni down to ensure it is fully submerged. Top with the final 1 cup of shredded cheeses.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fold together breadcrumbs, melted butter, and pepper.
- Uncover macaroni and top with the coated breadcrumbs before baking an additional 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs have lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.