Pork & Bean Ragout
1⁄4 cup olive oil
5 lb boneless pork shoulder, fat removed & meat cut into 1–2-in. cubes
3 lb chorizo, cubed
3 medium onions, diced
6 carrots, diced
6 celery stalks, diced
12 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
12 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz tomato paste
3 15-oz cans fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
6 cups beef stock
2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 lb dry white beans, soaked overnight
zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F/190° C.
2. Place the Wonder Cooker’s Roaster Pan on the stove top. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the pork in batches. Remove and reserve the pork.
3. Brown the chorizo. Remove and reserve the chorizo.
4. Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery until soft (about 6 mins.).
5. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2 mins.
6. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 min.
7. Add the tomatoes, beef stock, Italian seasoning, salt, and ground black pepper and then simmer for 15 mins.
8. Add the pork, sausage, and beans; bring to boil; and cover with the Grill Pan.
9. Transfer the Roaster Pan to the oven and bake at 375° F/190° C for 2 hrs.
10. Remove from the oven, add the lemon zest, and mix.
Eric’s Tip: To give this ragout a richer flavor, bake in the oven uncovered then stir occasionally as the top browns. This will deepen the color and intensify the flavor. You can also use different sausages to fit your tastes.