- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 3 pound chuck roast
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 large onion peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 5 medium carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup dill pickle juice
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 pound baby red potatoes
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil in the COPPER CHEF PAN medium high heat.
3. Generously season the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
4. When oil is hot sear one side of the chuck roast until dark brown, about 5 minutes.
5. Flip the chuck roast over and sear the other side.
6. Remove seared chuck roast from the COPPER CHEF PAN and place on a plate.
7. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the COPPER CHEF PAN and sauté until onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
8. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
9. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute or two.
10. Add the red wine, pickle juice, beef stock, onion soup mix and chopped dill pickles.
11. Return the beef to the COPPER CHEF PAN and bring liquid up to a simmer.
12. Place uncovered in oven for 1 hour.
13. After 1 hour cover the COPPER CHEF PAN with the lid and cook for another hour.
14. After the second hour add the potatoes cover and continue to cook for another half an hour.
15. Remove meat from the COPPER CHEF PAN and bring the sauce up to a simmer.
16. Combine the cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry.
17. Stir into the simmering sauce and bring back up to a simmer.