Makes 20-25 rolls
3 tbsp. canola oil, to sear vegetables
3 cups savoy cabbage, shredded
1 tsp. sea salt
1 carrot, peeled and diced small
1 head savoy cabbage
15 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
1 tsp. ginger root, peeled and minced
1⁄2 tsp. garlic cloves, peeled and minced
3 scallions, chopped
1⁄2 cup water chestnuts, chopped
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp. water
1 package spring roll wraps
2 qt. canola oil, for frying
1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. orange marmalade
2 tbsp. ginger, peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- Place the Copper Chef on high heat. Add half the canola oil and savoy cabbage. Sprinkle with salt and sear for about 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil and sear the carrot pieces and mushrooms for about 4 minutes. Add the scallions, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes, then add to the savoy cabbage that has been set aside.
- Add the chopped water chestnuts to the savoy cabbage. Mix well and let cool.
- Make an egg wash with the yolk and water.
Place a spring roll wrap on the counter. Add some savoy cabbage filling,
then brush the edges with the egg wash. Roll like a burrito.
Repeat until finished.
- Place the cleaned Copper Chef on medium heat. Once preheated, add canola oil until pan is half full and heated to 365o F.
- Cook the spring rolls in the oil until golden.
- For the dipping sauce, add all sauce ingredients, except garlic and onion, to a blender. Blend. Add the garlic and onion. Pulse until chopped.
- Serve spring rolls with dipping sauce.
Eric’s Tip: If you need to prepare these in advance, give the rolls a light sprinkling of cornstarch and wrap in parchment individually.