Strawberry Cream Cheese Turnovers
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 18 minutes Serves: 8
Ingredients 1 (17.3-ounce) box frozen puff pastry sheets (2 sheets) 4 ounces cream cheese, softened 1 large egg white 2 tablespoons sugar 1/3 cup strawberry preserves, chilled 1 large egg, beaten Coarse sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. Let the 2 sheets of puff pastry thaw on the counter as you prepare the cream cheese.
3. Whisk together cream cheese, egg white, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. For best results, place in freezer for 15 minutes.
4. On a lightly floured surface, cut each of the thawed pastry sheets into 4 equal squares.
5. Place around 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture and 1 tablespoon of strawberry preserves in the center of each square of dough.
6. Brush the beaten egg over all 4 edges of each square, then fold over and press to seal closed.
7. Brush the tops of each turnover with the egg, slice two small vents into the top, and then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
8. Bake 16-18 minutes, just until golden brown. Watch carefully in the last few minutes, as the strawberry preserves will start to drizzle out just as the pastries are finished cooking.