Thai Coconut Bouillabaisse
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined, shells reserved
4 stalks celery, chopped, divided
3 cups carrots, cut diagonally, divided
1 leek, sliced
1 large onion, sliced, divided
2 1⁄2 cups water
4 cloves garlic, divided
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. olive oil
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-in. pieces
10 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. red curry paste
2 tbsp. grated ginger
1 13 1⁄2-oz can coconut milk
1⁄2 cup white wine
2 tomatoes, chopped
1⁄2 lb scallops, cleaned
12 littleneck clams, washed
zest of 1⁄2 lime
1⁄2 cup fresh Thai basil
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
1. Place the Wonder Cooker’s Roaster Pan on the stove top. Heat the canola oil over medium-high heat, add the shrimp shells, and cook for 3 mins.
2. Add 2 chopped celery stalks, 1⁄2 cup carrots, and 1⁄2 onion and then cook for 1 min.
3. Stir in the water, 2 garlic cloves, and the bay leaf and then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 mins. and then strain the broth through a sieve over a bowl and discard the solids.
4. Heat the olive oil over medium heat; add the remaining celery, carrots, leek, and garlic; and then cook for 3 mins.
5. Add the red bell peppers and mushrooms and then cook 1 min.
6. Stir in the curry paste, ginger, coconut milk, broth from the shrimp shells, wine, and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
7. Add the shrimp, scallops, and clams; cover with the Grill Pan; and cook until the clams open and the shrimp is cooked (5 mins.).
8. Stir in the lime zest, basil, and cilantro.
Eric’s Tip: I love to pair any dish that has coconut curry with ginger and mint-scented jasmine rice. Topping it off with chopped cashews adds an exotic crunch and toasty flavor.