Waffle Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Typically battered in egg and deep-fried, Monte Cristo sandwiches are an indulgent and crispy delight that can be a real pain to prepare. This version turns them into the perfect breakfast sandwich by using waffles to get that crisp and adding a fried egg in place of the batter.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Serves: 2
4 frozen or fresh waffles, cooked/toasted
8-12 thin slices deli ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon butter
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Top each of 2 cooked waffles with a layer of ham, then 2 slices of cheese, then more ham. Place in the oven for 5 minutes (to melt the cheese) as you cook the eggs.
- Heat butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until desired doneness, flipping to cook over medium if you prefer.
- Top the ham on each of the baked waffles with a fried egg, then top with another cooked waffle.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar, for garnish.